Timeline


Apr-11 Homestudy began
Jul-11 Signed with Holt
6/28/11 Found Jospehine, but another family is
currently reviewing
7/13/11 Received information for Josephine
to review
07/20/11 Asked for additional information about
Josephine's development
08/20/11 Filed I800A
08/23/11 Received additional information from her
orphanage and asked to hold her for me
08/24/11 Josephine went off Great Walls list to Holt
08/26/11 Sent LOI (Letter of Intent)
9/2/11 LOI uploaded in china
9/7/11 Got fingerprinted
9/29/11 800A
10/14/11 DTC (Dossier to China)
10/18/2011 LID (Logged in Date)
12/14/2011 LOA!
02/03/2012 Article 5 Pickup
02/16/2012Travel Approval
03/13/2012 Travel to CHINA!!!!!
03/29/2012 Homecoming


Friday, May 11, 2012

New Medicine for Madalyn and more tests for Josephine

Madalyn's rash finally went away enough for us to start her next seizure medicine.  It's impossible to know which medicine will be best for individuals, so a lot of seizure management is trial and error.  We are trying Keppra.  I am very optimistic that it will be a good drug for Madalyn.  I was hesitant when we first started medicine a few months ago because it slows the brain waves down....which can affect learning.  However, after seeing the progress she made on Lamictal, I am more than ready to try this.  She had her first dose last night.  Unlike Lamictal, we could see some changes quicker than with Lamical!  We do gradually increase the dose, but not as slowly as with Lamictal.

Dr. Parker called me about Josephine's MRI.  She had recently returned from a convention about childhood strokes.   She said that given Josephine's MRI (she described as "classic MCA Ischemic event versus Madalyn's hemmorhagic stroke") about half of the physicians would recommend further testing to search for underlying causes that may need further medical management and half would not.  Given those numbers, I chose further testing.   I would not want something catastrophic to happen in the future that could have been prevented.  However, the testing involves anesthesia and possibly the use of CT, which exposes Josephine to more radiation than I would like at such a young age.  I plan to talk to Dr. Denney, our pediatrician, about it today.  I am not worried about anesthesia, but I do worry about radiation and the risk of cancer when she is an adult.





No comments: