Timeline


Apr-11 Homestudy began
Jul-11 Signed with Holt
6/28/11 Found Jospehine, but another family is
currently reviewing
7/13/11 Received information for Josephine
to review
07/20/11 Asked for additional information about
Josephine's development
08/20/11 Filed I800A
08/23/11 Received additional information from her
orphanage and asked to hold her for me
08/24/11 Josephine went off Great Walls list to Holt
08/26/11 Sent LOI (Letter of Intent)
9/2/11 LOI uploaded in china
9/7/11 Got fingerprinted
9/29/11 800A
10/14/11 DTC (Dossier to China)
10/18/2011 LID (Logged in Date)
12/14/2011 LOA!
02/03/2012 Article 5 Pickup
02/16/2012Travel Approval
03/13/2012 Travel to CHINA!!!!!
03/29/2012 Homecoming


Sunday, May 27, 2012

Change of summer plans

www.constrainttherapy.com  tells about constraint therapy
www.constrainttherapy.com/photos.htm Pictures from last year's camp
www.onetruemedia.com/my_shared?z=2c24c943149b444adc0c91&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url Videos that highlight the progress Madalyn made from this type of therapy (see video "Acquire Therapy")



The camp Madalyn attended last year is in July this year.  All year I have been adamant that it wasn't right for either of my girls to go this year.  Madalyn said she didn't want to, and I felt like she was getting old enough to make some therapy decisions herself.  And I felt like I needed to spend every moment with Josephine before starting back to school.

However, I've returned to teaching aerobics and have been leaving Josephine and Madalyn in the nursery for 45 minutes to an hour most days.  Josephine cried for a few minutes each time I left her in the nursery, but it got shorter and shorter each time.  The last time I left her, she clung to my neck, but then reached out for the nursery worker without crying.  I feel like she undertands mommy will be back in an hour.  She is also very excited when I do return.  She goes to me for all comforting and is very loving and has good eye contact.  All of these behaviors lead me to believe she is attached and secure enough to handle the therapy.

The camp is outside of Atlanta and lasts 3 weeks.  For for her age the ratio of therapist is 1:1 and is just 4 hours long.  The director understands Josephine has only been with me 2 months, and my related concerns.  She will let me decide if it's best if I stay or go, and if the time needs to be adapted for Josephine.  The children wear their cast only during the camp day.  Therefore, there will be no stress after camp hours, which means we can resume normal bonding and napping time when she's not in therapy.  This is different than the CIMT Madalyn did at a young age, so I will be very interested to see the gains Josephine will make at a less intense camp.  However, I really feel like this is the perfect option for her at this point.  And truthfully, I will never be able to compare progress and types of therapy because each child is different. Right now she cannot bear any weight on her arm without it collapsing, and she cannot release an object, nor consiously move her fingers and thumb in any way.  She does not use it as a helper hand.  It also does not  extend to break her falls, so she usually lands on her face.

So, my goals for Josephine, which I think are realistic, are to be able to open her hand to release an object, and bear some weight on her arm.  I would like the clonus (muscle jerks which happen often, especially when you touch her hand,  when she moves it, or falls)....to lessen....and time will tell if that happens with increased strength and function.

As for Madalyn and her decision....this whole change of plans happened when I had a dream last night that we happened to be in Atlanta and ran into everyone from camp last year.  In my dream, they told me it was the first day of camp, and I thought it very odd that we happened to be in the same hotel on that day without intending to attend camp.  When I woke up at (at 4 am), Madalyn was awake and I told her about my dream.  She seemed receptive.  I asked her if she would go, and she said yes.  Though I asked her initially, now that I have decided, she will go regardless of her changing emotions about it.  She had a great time last year, and they have even more fun activities lined up for the kids this year!

 My goals for Madalyn are individual finger movement  to increase liklihood that left hand can  help when she learns to type and increased tricep strength so she can participate in the crab walk in next year's decathalon.

I can't tell you how excited I am that we are going next month!!! Our friends from last year will be there, too. We will stay 3 weeks in the same extended stay hotel that allows our dogs to be with us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! You are so informed and pro-active with these girls. I don't think they will ever truly understand the depth of your love and devotion to them. But that is the way with all kids until they have their own...
Susan

Anonymous said...

You are are right about understanding what our parents went through only after we have kids! And it's such a blessing to be able to see all they went through for us!
Cheri