Timeline


Apr-11 Homestudy began
Jul-11 Signed with Holt
6/28/11 Found Jospehine, but another family is
currently reviewing
7/13/11 Received information for Josephine
to review
07/20/11 Asked for additional information about
Josephine's development
08/20/11 Filed I800A
08/23/11 Received additional information from her
orphanage and asked to hold her for me
08/24/11 Josephine went off Great Walls list to Holt
08/26/11 Sent LOI (Letter of Intent)
9/2/11 LOI uploaded in china
9/7/11 Got fingerprinted
9/29/11 800A
10/14/11 DTC (Dossier to China)
10/18/2011 LID (Logged in Date)
12/14/2011 LOA!
02/03/2012 Article 5 Pickup
02/16/2012Travel Approval
03/13/2012 Travel to CHINA!!!!!
03/29/2012 Homecoming


Sunday, April 15, 2012

Right hand therapy

In just a few weeks, Josephine has made a lot of progress with her right hand.  When she first came to us, she had no awareness of her right hand, other than to rub it with her left hand.  She was not able to consiously move it.  With gently holding her left hand, and enticing her to touch touch toys (and praising if "any" movement happened, she began to be able to move it forward and back, but no movement at the elbow.  Tonight she found a bowl of jelly beans at my parent's house, and she was able to move  her arm back and forth, as well as up and down, including the elbow! 

I'm still working on getting her to bear weight, even if just on a bent elbow.  So far, that arm collapses if I place her in any weight bearing exercise.  I'm not sure how that skill will emerge...but will keep trying.  After that skill emerges, I am hopeful some opening of the fist may occur.

Of course, her therapists will work on these goals as well.  However, 1/2 hour per week will not be enough, so lots of home therapy will be needed.  Unfortunately, as much as I want to get her into an intense summer program, I have to wait until she has had more time to adjust and bond to us....so, I will hold off until the following summer.

Josephine's sister, Madalyn has been able to gain almost full function in bilateral activities, thanks to early diagnosis and  therapy that began at 9 months.  And even more importantly, each year since she was 2 she has participated in  4 weeks of 7 hour per day Constraint Induced Movement Therapy.   We will never know how much of Josephine's starting point is attributed to lack of therapy at a young age, or just location of her stroke, and her individual brain's way of re-wiring.  However, since Josephine has full use of of left side, and will no doubt continue to make gains in her right side,  I'm sure she will be able to do all things she wants to in life!

So, as you watch the video, remember this is just her starting point.  She will  make huge gains and will learn to be motivated by the independence and sense of accomplishment each fine motor skill gain will bring!

Here are the videos that shows Madalyn's starting point...and where she is now.....

http://www.onetruemedia.com/my_shared?z=2c24c943149b444adc0c91&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been following along with your blog and each time and with each photo..I jsut cry tears of joy for you all. I am so happy for you all and so amazed by you!!! Can't wait to see you all.
Kim Oakes

tobythedogb said...

I have been thinking A LOT about you guys, too! Let's please get together soon. Madalyn would love to play with Dani, and I want my hands on your little Will!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Josephine!!!! That is awesome! I have been following along with your blog , and I am so happy for you guys. Looking at the pictures and videos I am reminded so much of when Amelia Jane was younger. Keep up all that good therapy and I know she will get amazing results! Tell Madelyn that Amelia Jane says hello and has enjoyed looking at the pictures of her and her new sister : ) Leah Sturgeon

tobythedogb said...

Hey Leah!
Great to hear from you! Are y'all going back to Georgia this year? We are not....and I'm sad I won't be seeing everyone again this year! I sure would love to get the girls together. Tell Amelia Jane we say hello!! I may call you sometime to ask some questions about Amelia Jane's earlier milestones....isn't her affected side right, too?

Anonymous said...

Cheri,
Yes, she is a rightie, I would love to chat and catch up and answer any questions you might have. We are going back to camp this year. Amelia Jane is going to be disappointed that Madelyn won't be there, but we need to plan a meet up somewhere between FL and MS.
Leah : )

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Josephine!!!! We have GOT to get together soon...Love that she's already following instructions. AND with her right hand! You go girl! Nancy

Amy said...

Fantastic!!! Hooray for Josephine!!!
I love seeing the progress she has made with you!
Josephine has so many incredible milestones just waiting for her. I can't wait to see her reach each one!
Love to you all!

Sorry I missed your call. I have got to remember to put my phone charger back in the kitchen. I'm missing all my calls! lol
Will call you tomorrow. :)